We are a small, not-for-profit foundation (stichting) launched in 2010. Ark is for children aged 3 to 13 years with autism, communication and language delays, sensory processing disorders, PDD-NOS and other developmental challenges. We work with children who are not yet ready for a regular school environment. Ark provides intensive one-to-one support throughout the day from a skilled, experienced educator. Children also have the opportunity to work in pairs and small groups – to form friendships and learn from their peers in a structured but playful environment – a vital part of any child’s development.
We are a creative, multi-national and multi-lingual team, based in a great space in Amsterdam’s New West. Children attend for up to six hours per day between 09:00 and 15:00. They take part in a programme of activities designed to develop their communication, social interaction and independence through their relationships with educators, other children and the vibrant community we’re part of – helping all of us to realise our potential.
At Ark children receive:
- One-to-one support from an experienced educator
- A unique development plan tailored to their individual needs, prepared in consultation with psychologists, physical and sensory integration therapists, speech therapist etc.
- Supported activities in pairs and small groups
- Regular trips to local shops, parks, museums, libraries and other public spaces – activities to develop mastery of their environment.
- community outreach and family support and advice
- on-site training and learning opportunities for parents, educators, therapists and other professionals